I'm not really sure how I got the idea to make a tribute to Autechre. Maybe it came to me when I first listened to "Untilted." However it happened, I got sucked into the process of making "glitch electronica." It started with some brainstorming and a lack of proper glitch VSTs with the first track, "Super Pythagorean Theorum 3.14159." Don't get me wrong, I love Autechre, but I needed to spoof my track titles. After first listening to the demo of SPT3, I knew that I was limited without some "proper" glitch VSTs. Thank god for Levon, eh?
"FLR WTF GEOMETRY" was a major step forward for me, because in it I incorporated some glitch VSTs, used on both the drums and the bass. It still sounded way to stripped down for my tastes, though it remains unaltered from when I first mixed it down.
"The Ghosts of Trigonometry Battle the Demons of Calculus" was another major step forward for the project, because it is the first track to incorporate midi of any sort. Thank god for Levon again, eh?
The next track, "Violin Induced Algebra" really made the whole project go more quickly. I was getting more of a feel for midi and had a lot more experience in the use of glitch VSTs, as well as many other VSTs.
"PpL SU K" was a less major track for me and more of a track where I used all of my previous experience from the other 4 tracks.
The project came to a halt with "TS TK 4E VIR TU MEKE." It took a full two weeks to put together the midi. It then took about a half a week to put together the drums and other effects.
I spent a day working on the projects longest track, "Trees In Dreams Made Of Sine Waves." It brought the project to a milestone: 49 of 70 minutes.
Next up was "Triangular Square Femurs." I was beginning to ease into the creation of these songs. Which brings me to, "Ceramic Bears Eat Giant Worms From The 39th Vibration." By this point I was completely immersed in the process. I was familiar with my tools and when I entered a command, drew a midi note, or turned a knob on a synth VST, I knew what was flying.
I needed something to finish this record with -- it hit me. A short 3 minute track with all the drums tracked by hand -- NO drum machines. I played with the sounds, did a little reversing and used racks to incorporate a bubbling synth over the hand tracked drums.
Listening to it now I'm proud of my accomplishment -- it's a step forward for me in the production of music.
Run Time: 70:36
Programs Used: Tracktion, leafDrums 2, Goldwave, numerous VSTs
Equipment Used: Acoustic Drums (Live & Sampled), Yamaha 4-String Bass Guitar, Roland TD-8 Electronic Drums (Live & Sampled), iRiver HP-140 (with external mic), Whirlwind IMP 2 Direct Box, M-Audio Revolution 7.1, Dell Dimension 8200 (P4, 2 GHz, 1.5 GHz RDRAM).
Now onto my next project.
Uploaded by APOS on